I couldn’t break the tradition of
doing Thanksgiving abroad after my amazing time last year in
Baden, Austria. My
sister, Zaynee, has been studying abroad in Amman, Jordan since June of this
year, and we decided to make a family vacation out of visiting her for
Thanksgiving this year!
On Friday, November 21, I boarded
my Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt, Germany, where my connection to Amman was and
where I would meet up with my youngest sister, Hanaa, and my parents before
heading to the Middle East together. 8.5 hours of restless sleeping in my
window seat, I arrived at Flughafen Frankfurt delighted to hear German being
spoken around me once again. Since my family wasn’t landing for another hour
and a half, I decided to venture into the small city of Frankfurt myself and
explore before they came.
 |
| Fantastic architecture in Römerberg |
It was simple getting the S-Bahn
into Hauptwache. I made some Tajikistani friends who bought a 5 person group
day ticket and included me in the group, then gave me the ticket to use. So
that gave me a free pass into and out of Frankfurt!
I knew I wanted to make the most of
my time in the German town, even though I only had about 5 hours, so I planned
exactly what I wanted to see before I left Atlanta. My first stop out of the
station at 8:30am was to head towards Römerberg, the center of the Frankfurt
Altstadt where the Christkindlmarkt was being set up. I was so upset I would be
missing the grand opening by 4 days. They’re my favourite. But I did get to see
a lot of the stalls being built, as well as admiring the Frankfurt Rathaus or Römer
(City Hall) and fantastic architecture of the Römerberg. It made me miss Vienna
so much!
 |
| The Rathaus/Römer with the Christkindlmarkt stalls and tree in front |
It was quite chilly, so I kept
moving, towards the Eiserner Steg, or Iron Footbridge, that connected the
center of Frankfurt to the Sachsenhausen, or the apple wine district. It was
quite impressive, with a view of the modern skyscrapers of Downtown Frankfurt
on one side and the historic cathedral pinnacles and old architecture on the
other. I walked across to get the full experience!
 |
| The steps up to the Eiserner Steg |
 |
| Eiserner Steg |
 |
| View of the Sechsenhausen side of Frankfurt from the Eiserner Steg |
Afterwards, I visited Der Kaiserdom
(The Emperor’s Cathedral) and the Frankfurt Cathedral. Neither were as
impressive as Stephansdom in Vienna, or other Viennese churches, but they were
quite large and warm inside!
 |
| Frankfurterdom |
I scoped out a wifi signal in the
next forty minutes, and managed to find out that Mom, Dad and Hanaa were in
Frankfurt trying to meet me. We eventually got together and looked around for a
place to eat before heading back to the airport to catch our 1pm flight to
Jordan. I had passed a nice restaurant earlier that served schnitzel, and I was
dying to get some, despite it being only 10:30 in the morning. We ordered the
schnitzels…and were then told they weren’t serving them yet. I was heartbroken,
and opted for eggs and tomatoes like the rest of the family before heading back
to the Flughafen to catch our flight to Amman.
 |
| Mom, Hanaa, and I reunited in Deutschland! |
No comments:
Post a Comment